Welcome back to those of you who were able to book in to the Library last term. Welcome to those of you who are new to College or who are visiting the New Library for the first time. We look forward to meeting you all!
Your College library provides you with a place to study, access to resources across all subjects and support from knowledgeable Library staff.
We aim to provide all books needed on all subjects for Part I papers and as many as possible for Part II papers, with a great deal of material for Part III and postgraduate studies also available. We also aim to support your wider life here via our wellbeing, study skills and general reading sections.
We strongly encourage you to have a look at the New Library webpage, which holds a wealth of information on available resources, the collection and guides on how to get the most out of Cambridge Libraries: https://www.magd.cam.ac.uk/college-life/library
In-person Undergraduate Fresher induction tours have been scheduled by subject groups, please see your Freshers pack for details and make a note of the time.
Bookable tours for new Graduates or for anyone uncertain about using the Library are available via the MagdNet booking system after Freshers week: Tuesday 12th October 10am, 11am and 2pm. Thursday 14th October 10am, 11am, 1pm.
Early morning external works
Over the next few weeks our building contractors for the New Library will be carrying out some addition external work which it was not possible to do over the summer months. Occasional isolated works on some of the internal shutters will also be taking place. The majority of the work should be fairly quiet however we are aware that during the early part of the day (no earlier than 8.00am) that there may be some occasional noise disturbance. Access to the New Library will NOT be affected. The contractors will do their best to keep disruption to a minimum. Thank you for your understanding while we complete the final few essential works for this fantastic building.
Keeping you safe in the New Library
As COVID-19 restrictions are gradually eased in the College and wider society, we are pleased to be able to remove some restrictions and ease others.
The library will continue to operate some procedures to help to keep you safe and prevent the spread of Coronavirus. We encourage you to continue to respect the University’s current guidance around the continued emphasis on Hands | Face | Space.
What is new?
- The Library is now open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- You no longer need to book to use the Library.
- The 2m+ separation of seating has been eased in most areas, increasing the Library capacity to over 90 spaces.
- Some 2m+ spaces remain in place for those who are concerned about closer seating, as well as plenty of solo desks across the first and second floors.
- We have added some comfortable seating in the Duncan Robinson Room on First Floor, perfect for getting that reading done!
- The Rowan Williams Room (Social Space) will open on Monday 4th October, please see details below.
- The bookable Group Study Room will open on Monday 4th October, please see details below.
- We encourage you to consider others by wearing face coverings (unless exempt) when entering and moving around the New Library, but they are no longer required when seated at desks.
What is the same?
- Hand-gel points are available for use on entering the Library, at the reception desk and at self-issue terminals.
- Cleaning points, with anti-viral spray and paper towels, are available for you to clean desks before and after study.
- Certain windows and shutters remain open to maintain adequate ventilation; we ask that you do not close those marked up as such.
- Books can be borrowed and returned as normal. We will continue to provide our Request and Collect (https://www.magd.cam.ac.uk/college-life/library/request-and-collect) for accessibility and to help students who are self-isolating.
What else is new!
Increased borrowing limit
You can now borrow up to 12 items at one time from the New Library.
Book reservation Slips are back
If you are using books in the library and want to return to them the following day without taking them on loan you can do this. Up to 4 books can be reserved for 24 hours by yellow ‘Book reservation slip’ with a filled in date and name. The date can be updated daily. The yellow Reservation Slips can be found dotted about the library.
Books left without a reservation slip will be tidied away.
New General Reading Section – contemporary fiction, poetry, graphic novels and more
We have created a new section for 2021 containing contemporary fiction, literature, poetry, and popular non-fiction. We will keep an eye out for literary prize shortlists, International authors and great new titles to add to this section, and of course encourage recommendations!
We hope this, along with the extended borrowing limit, will provide you with an opportunity to escape the reading list and read for pleasure as well as study!
Printing & Scanning
We have new printer/copiers in the copier rooms on the First and Second Floor. You can be print to these via your own device; for information on how to do this please see the Computer Office.
The printer/copiers can also be used to scan to e-mail by logging in with your Magdalene network details (not Raven).
Rowan Williams Room (Social Space)
(available from Monday 4th October)
Taking regular breaks and staying hydrated is an important part of successful study. We encourage you to get up, stretch, have a snack and a drink and come back to your study space refreshed, which is why we provide the Rowan Williams Room or ‘Social Space’ within the New Library building.
Access is via the right hand door in the building entrance foyer (card reader to the right of the Benefactors Stone). There is also a card reader on the door handle to the social space.
The ‘Social Space’ provides the following amenities:
- Instant Boiling water tap
- Instant chilled, filtered water tap
- Sink to wash out your takeaway cups before recycling
- The Recreational Reading section
So bring along you keep cups and water bottles as well as teabag, coffee granules or hot chocolate of choice!
Please do not store food or drink items in the Social Space, these will be cleaned away if left.
Please use the ‘Social Space’ for short breaks from study, or meeting up before and after working, rather than for long periods to ensure everyone has a chance to use the space.
The Rowan Williams Room (Social Space) will be available from the start of Freshers week. Initially, it will be open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm with an occupancy limit of 9 people at a time. The opening times will be reviewed a few weeks into term.
The Bookable Group Study Room (First Floor)
(available from Monday 4th October)
The Group Study Room is located on the First Floor and is a bookable study space, designed to enable group study work without disturbing other library users. It is not bookable for teaching, supervisions or social/club events.
The Group Study Room will be bookable for hour-long slots throughout the day. Consecutive booking slots will be possible, but limited to 3 consecutive slots per day. Booking will be available via an online MagdNet booking page.