The Pepys Library announced in a previous blog post that its spectacular Map of Rome by Giovanni Maggi and Paul Maupin will be digitised. It has been digitised as part of a project lead by the Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts (CASVA) at the National Gallery of Art in the United States. The project is entitled The History of the Accademia di San Luca, c. 1590-1635: Documents from the Archivio di Stato di Roma.
To view the map on the CASVA’s website, please follow this link.
The director of the project, Peter Lukehart, has provided some further information about the project for the Magdalene Libraries’ blog:
The History of the Accademia di San Luca, c. 1590-1635: Documents from the Archivio di Stato di Roma is pleased to announce the expansion of the project’s scope and functionality with the addition of 45 new place pages on its website. Each place page includes a thumbnail image, links to relevant documents, and access to four historic maps of Rome: Étienne Dupérac (1575), Antonio Tempesta (1593), Giovanni Maggi and Paul Maupin (1625), and Giovanni Battista Falda (1676). These new pages complement the documentary and visual content of the existing site, allowing the researcher to see and explore the churches, palaces, meeting venues, streets, and piazzas where the academicians interacted and transacted business throughout the city of Rome.
The Early History of the Accademia di San Luca, c. 1590‒1635 was conceived as a project in two parts: a volume of interpretive essays concerning the establishment of one of the first artists’ academies in late sixteenth-century Italy and a research database of newly rediscovered coeval notarial documents that support current and future study of the Accademia and its members. Based largely upon these important documents, the essays published in The Accademia Seminars: The Early History of the Accademia di San Luca in Rome, c. 1590‒1635 (2009) serve as the first institutional history of the Accademia and cover issues from the creation of new statutes to the siting of the church of Santi Luca e Martina in the Roman Forum, and from the formulation of the educational program of the academy to the roles of the artists and amatori who participated in it.